Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bonhoeffer

One of our homeworks for this week was to read Bonhoeffer's "Life Together," 18 pages in and I was calling out to God. Its talks about community, and about being grateful for what you have rather than criticizing. And I realized how often I complain about the fact that things aren't the way I want them to be, but God is changing my outlook on life. I am so grateful for the community I have here. Sure there are things I would change if I was running everything, but thats just it, I"M NOT, GOD IS! Thank goodness for that! Because He does so much better than I ever could. He has this whole big plan that I can't see and its just so exciting to get to be in the middle of it. I can see God moving around me, how incredible is that? Constant community is the most amazing thing, this morning I met with my mentor Anne, and she just encouraged me to keep asking God for more of Him and more of what He has for me, because He wants to give us more than we can possibly think or imagine. Then I got a chance to be myself in the Boiler House, I blasted Hillsong London, and praised Jesus at the top of my lungs. Love those prayer times when its just you and God and He meets you there. Then, God teaching me about community as He likes to do, I ran into Carla and got to hear all about what shes been doing in the schools and prayed for her on my walk home. Everywhere i went today, i got to see people that I know, people that i'm building relationships with, people who need Jesus, or encouragement or encouraged me. I got home to a houseful of studious people, and got some insight into God Story, ate some lunch (stir fry from last night, when we had a full table and silence, I think that means I did good) then one of the girls that is doing God Story with me, Hannah, picked me up and we went back to her house to do some studying/debating, and figured out we know nothing but its fun to decipher what the Bible says on all the random topics we come across in our reading. Then her brother Simeon's car broke down so we went and jumped it for him, just another example of what a tight-nit community they have over here. Then when i got home it was time to start thinking about dinner and Steve brought over a friend. Mike made us some awesome Bangers and mash (which is sausage and mashed potatoes). I love that we have an open house where anyone really is welcome at any time. Its awesome to me that people just drop in. I've always wanted to have a home like that, so having it here is amazing. Basically, today God has showed me what a blessing living in community is and that I shouldn't take it for granted, but that i should instead be grateful everyday for the beautiful people surrounding me. :)

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing how the Lord can plant a vision in our hearts, grow it over years, and allow you to see it come to fruition. What a wonderful God. Blessing percious, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirelle, that all sounds so so cool!!! The blaring music and singing at the top of your lungs reminds me of 8th grade at Shakes. I love you!

    -You know who.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm hoping this is Ariel, but it could be danny...hmmm I'm gonna go with my brown eyed girl! Yeah it is really awesome mommy! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duh it's me haha. UPDATE US WOMAN!!! How are you? I love you!

    ReplyDelete